Great content can help you position your firm as a thought leader. You market with content by using words and images to engage an audience with valuable, relevant information that addresses their needs.
You use content to move your audience through the buying cycle:
- Build awareness of your firm and generate qualified leads
- Demonstrate that you clearly understand your prospects’ needs
- Help your prospects evaluate your firm and make a choice
- Support the purchase decision and implementation stage
- Foster customer loyalty and drive repeat business.
You can position your firm as a thought leader using a variety of content—white papers, newsletters, books, blogs, social media, websites, research reports—that allow you to earn trust and build credibility and recognition, differentiating you as one who clearly understands the business needs of your audience.
Joe Pulizzi of the Content Marketing Institute says it best:
Content marketing is the art of communicating with your customers and prospects without selling. It is non-interruption marketing. Instead of pitching your products or services, you are delivering information that makes your buyer more intelligent. The essence of this content strategy is the belief that if we, as businesses, deliver consistent, ongoing valuable information to buyers, they ultimately reward us with their business and loyalty.
The Custom Content Process
Content marketing requires the publication of custom content, which comprises five steps:
- Exploring: Discoverring what your goals are, who your audience is, and developing a content marketing strategy
- Planning: Planning your content marketing program — who, what, where, when, and how
- Creating: Determining your content needs and then writing, editing, designing, and producing great content
- Delivering: Effectively delivering your targeted message to the appropriate audience
- Measuring: Assessing results to determine whether your content marketing goals have been met
So whether you’re trying to generate leads, nurture your prospects until they’re ready to buy, or engage with your customers to upsell or cross-sell, custom content is the most effective tool you can use.